January 17 (Saint Petersburg, Russia)
Mariinsky Ballet choreographer, dancer
Ilya graduated from the Vaganova Ballet Academy in 2008 (class of Gennady Selyutsky). In 2015, he graduated from the Master’s Course in ‘Choreographer’s Art’ at the Vaganova Ballet Academy (class of Nikolay Boyarchikov).
Joined the Mariinsky Ballet in 2008.
• Recipient of the Hope of Russia prize (2007).
- La Sylphide (Youths); choreography by August Bournonville, revised version by Elsa-Marianne von Rosen,
- La Bayadère (Magdaveya, Hindu Dance); choreography by Marius Petipa, revised version by Vladimir Ponomarev and Vakhtang Chabukiani,
- Swan Lake (Jester, Neapolitan Dance); choreography by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov, revised version by Konstantin Sergeyev,
- Les Noces (soloists); choreography by Bronislava Nijinska,
- The Fountain of Bakhchisarai (Nurali, Youths, Tatar Dance); choreography by Rostislav Zakharov,
- The Nutcracker (Moor, Chinese Dance); choreography by Vasily Vainonen,
- Spartacus (Mimes, Etruscans); choreography by Leonid Yakobson,
- Walpurgis Night (Pan, Satyrs), Romeo and Juliet (Mercutio, Capulets’ servants); choreography by Leonid Lavrovsky,
- The Legend of Love (Jester); choreography by Yuri Grigorovich,
- Jewels (Rubies); choreography by George Balanchine,
- Sylvia (Pluto); choreography by Frederick Ashton,
- Alexei Ratmansky’s ballets Cinderella (Spring, Summer) and The Little Humpbacked Horse (the Little Humpbacked Horse),
- Diana Vishneva: Beauty in Motion (Three Point Turn; choreography by Dwight Rhoden),
- Simple Things; choreography by Emil Faski;
- Diana Vishneva: Dialogues (Subject to Change; choreography by Paul Lightfoot and Sol León);
- Symphony in Three Movements; choreography by Radu Poklitaru
and The Bronze Horseman (Dutch Sailors); choreography by Rostislav Zakharov, Yuri Smekalov.
He has worked as a choreographer since 2013, annually at the Mariinsky Theatre’s Creative Workshop of Young Choreographers presenting new works including:
- Chess Move E2. Hardly (2013) to music by Antonín Dvořák using excerpts from a recording of Jupiter’s magnetic field (NASA Space Sounds);
- Adulte (2014) to music by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Tosya Chaikina;
- Connections (2015) to music by Johann Sebastian Bach;
- SeasonS (2016) to music by Max Richter;
- A Flashback (2018) to the music by Arvo Pärt;
- I’m not sacred (2019) to the music by Ezio Bosso;
- Touch the Light (2020) to the music by Philip Glass.
The Mariinsky Theatre repertoire includes the Four Seasons (2017) to music by Max Richter (this production was awarded by The Golden Sofit prize and for this work Ilya Zhivoi was also nominated for The Golden Mask Prize), Pulcinella (2018) and Jeu de cartes (2019) by Igor Stravinsky and Sous la coupole(2020) to music by Gustav Mahler.
As a choreographer, he took part in the production of the opera The Snow Maiden (2020, directed by Anna Matison), as choreographer and director of the new stage version he worked on the production of the opera Christmas Eve (2021).
As a choreographer has taken part in the Dance-Platform workshops of the Yekaterinburg Opera and Ballet Theatre (2014, 2015, 2016), Sergei Danilyan’s project The Dreamers (2017), the festival Stage Platform in Kazan (2019).
He was a choreographer of the ceremonial part of the St Petersburg graduates celebration Alye Parusa (Scarlet Sails, 2018). His works were performed at the Origen Festival Cultural in Switzerland, the festival MPHIL 360° in Munich, Grаnаdа Internаtionаl Festivаl of music аnd dаnce, Festivаl Cаstell de Peralada in Spain, Dubrovnik Summer Festival in Croatia, at the Russian Ballet Icons Gala on the stage of the London Coliseum, at Valentina Kozlova International Ballet Competition, TV’s project Grand Ballet.
In 2018, Ilya Zhivoi founded the creative association Jivoy Dance Company. www.jivoydance.com